Tags / Libya
VIDEO PROVIDED BY GOVERNMENT OF LIBYA
The Deputy Prime Minister of the temporary government of Libya Abdel Salam Badri, Congratulates General Khalifa Haftar after retaking Benghazi and Ajdabia from ISIS.
Badri said that the internationally recognized government will start work on rebuilding and repairing the areas that were destroyed in the battle against ISIS.
Libyans celebrate the 5th anniversary of the February 17 Revolution in Zuwara, Libya.
See the full video, available for sale here: https://www.transterramedia.com/media/66708
Our reporters were embedded with the Libyan Army during a battle against Libya Dawn (Fajr Libya) guerrillas in Kikla (South-west of Tripoli).
Video shows interior and exterior shots of the Anas Ben Malik Mosque, also knows as al-Badriya Mosque, located in the al-Salmani area of Benghazi.
In this living room women try to produce little home decorations, from discarded material, for sale to camp visitors, to help their families.
A narrow alley leading into the western part of the camp. Makeshift homes are on both sides of the alley.
Two school age girls pausing for the camera. They are lucky as they can attend the small newly opened make shift school instead of leaving the camp for another school.
Small children playing inside the camp.
Mr. Mabruk Eswasi founder and director of AL-Saber (Patience) charity at his office with his assistant Aida. He founded the charity to keep people together and help them after they were forced to flee their homes in Tawergha. He says not a single government department since 2011 has offered us any help.
Makeshift storage room and laundry room for the camp residents. All supplies are kept here prior to distribution.
Young children showing the V sign to my camera. Some appeared happy with my visit.
A makeshift play ground for children, but Tripoli’s bitter cold during my visit left the place empty.
The western entrance, the main entry to the makeshift airport road camp, 10 km south of Tripoli, Libya.
A group of old Twareghan men gathered around a small fire to keep warm in the only “events hall” as they call it. They receive visitors here, watch TV, and organize events for refugees such as birthday parties, weddings, and even circumcision parties. They treated me to a round of Libyan green tea and chatted about their future with little hope of any return home to Tawergha.
In August 2011, a group of militiamen, who were fighting against the Libyan president Mummer Kadhafi, entered the house of Kadhafi’s youngest son, Hannibal, in Tripoli, and found a tablet device which they believe was his personal device.
The device was turned over to a group of media activists in Tripoli, who examined the content. On the device they found thousands of photos and videos, including personal and family images. In a folder titled “Bosleem” there were videos that appeared to show prisoners being tortured during questioning, and photos of what are believed to be prisoners including their names, some appearing to be injured. The content also included Word documents and power point presentations some of which are encrypted.
The media activists have posted on social media a number of photos of Hannibal Kadhadi and his family, and several videos of prisoners being tortured. The activists group says one of its members was kidnapped and his fate remains unknown. Since then they have felt that they are in danger and have had to change locations frequently. They decided to move the content of the device outside of Libya. They contacted Lebanese journalist Mohamad Chreyteh, and one the the activists travelled to Lebanon in 2014 and gave the journalist the content.
Mr. Chreyteh says he has been working on organizing and verifying the content over the last year. He says he decided to make some of the content public on Sunday December 13, 2015, after hearing news that Hannibal Kadhafi is being held in detention. Kadhafi was turned over to Lebanese Internal Security official by gunmen who had seized him in Baalbek on Thursday December 10. Kadhafi is under investigation and official are trying to determine if he can be put on trial in Lebanon, in connection with the disappearance in Libya of Lebanese Shiaa spiritual leader and founder of the Amal Party, Moussa al-Sadr, in 1978.
The content includes many items that have not yet been made public:
- More than 700 photos and videos, of Hannibal Kadhafi, his wife, children, homes, yacht, private jet and international travels.
- More than 1700 photos and names of who are believed to be detainees held at Bosleem prison in Tripoli.
- More than 50 video clips showing what appears to be the interrogation and torture of prisoners.
- More than 35 documents including letters from investigators in Kadhafi’s security forces to senior officials, lists with names of wanted people, lists with names of detainees, lists with names of people recommended to be set free, notes detailing prisoner interrogations, letter from a senior military police official to a senior judge.
Hannibal Kadhafi and his Lebanese born wife Aline Skaf in what is believed to be their home.
A portion of a lengthy undated document from 2011, that appears to be a report by a Libyan security official to a superior on the uprising against the Kadhafi regime in 2011.
The subject "Summary of the current incidents based on investigations of detainees".
The report says that what it refers to as the 'conspiracy', started in Benghazi on February 7, 2011, blaming it on what are called "crusader countries" including the US, France, Italy, and the UK.
The report goes on to also blame Arab countries including Qatar, UAE and the Arab League, as well as external opposition and "internal traitors".
This is a of a portion of an undated document from 2011, that appears to be a reply by a Libyan security official to a letter from his superior dated May 18 2011. The document appears to be a report of interrogations of prisoners who have identified other people as participants in the uprising against the Kadhafi regime.
A portion of a document dated June 24, 2011, that appears to be a list of detainees at the 'central prison', believed to be Bosleem Prison. The document lists the names of 385 prisoners showing their file number, nationality, and location and date of their apprehension.
A portion of an undated document from 2011, that appears to be a letter by a Libyan security officer to a superior, accusing a police officer named Sufian Fawzi al-Seid al-Zarkani, of participating in the uprising against the Kadhafi regime.
The report also claims that the officer hid members of the opposition in his house, and did not allow his family to watch Libyan state television and instead allowed them to watch external channels such as al-Jazeera and al-Arabiya.
Video shot on a GoPro camera by a freelance photographer accompanying the Italian Navy on a rescue mission where 60 Italian Navymen rescues 998 immigrants from boats in the Mediterranean Sea just 30 km off the coast of Libya.
The men, women and children rescued from the smugglers' boat were from Syria, Eritrea, Mali, Palestine and Afghanistan.
Libyan coast guard vessels intercept a boat carrying 120 African migrants in the Mediterranean Sea and force it to return to the port of Tripoli.
The Libyan Coastguard captured four inflatable rubber boats carying over 400 migrants off the coast of Misrata on 3 May 2015.
"They didn't rescue us, they caught us, they arrested us," said Suliman, an 18 year-old from Senegal. "For sure we would have made it to Europe because the boats were good, but the Libyans were wating for us at sea. They shot into the water to make us stop."
The migrants - mainly from sub-Saharan African countries, said they were told to remove their shoes and belts before being forced to board the heavily-armed tugboat from Misrata Port now frequently used by the Coastguard. They were taken back to Libya where they had all their possessions, including passports, money and jewellry, confiscated, 32 year-old Awal Yai from Senegal said. "I have nothing in the world now, only this dress I am wearing. They even took my earrings."
The men and women sat in groups before being put onto buses. They were not told where they were gping but a Libyan guard said that all the migrants were being transferred to Libya's already overcrowded migrant detention centres.
Migrants reach out to catch bottles of water and cartons of juice thrown to them from the shore by the Libyan authorities. They are amongst 400 sub-Saharan Africans captured in four inflatable dinghies off the coast of Libya. "They treat us like animals here - you saw how they threw the food and water to us in the boat," said Abubaker, aged 17, from Gambia.
Migrants from sub-Saharan Africa captured by the Libyan Coastguard reach out for bread being handed from the shore. They have not eaten since early morning when they set sail in four inflatable boats, each packed with 95 people, from the coast near Tripoli
Female migrants from Eritrea, brought ashore by the Libyan Coastguard which captured them at sea, hide their faces.
Migrants from sub-Saharan Africa wait to be told to disembark from the Libyan Coastguard vessel which captured them in four inflatable dinghies. They have not yet been told that they will be transferred to already overcrowded migrant detention centres in Misrata and Tripoli.
Migrants crowd on the bow of a Coastguard vessel which captured them on four inflatable boats off the coast of Libya
Captured by the Libyan coastguard, Awal Yai, age 32, from Somalia waits with other migrants at Misrata port to be transferred to one of Libya's overcrowded detention centres. She sold everything she had to make the journey from Somalia to Libya.
A vigil was held in Berlin to commemorate the hundreds of migrants who died in the shipwreck off the Libyan coast on April 19. People taking part laid candles and flowers on the street. The ceremony turned into a peaceful protest in front of the European Commission Berlin office in an attempt to raise awareness about the need to step up search and rescue operations in the Mediterranean.
A man offers a lighted candle during the vigil on Unter den Linden street in Berlin.
A young man lighting a candle at the vigil in Berlin to commemorate the hundreds who died in the shipwreck in the Mediterranean.
A man and a woman during the one minute silence to commemorate the hundreds who died in the shipwreck in the Mediterranean.
A young woman placing a candle on a bike during the vigil to commemorate the hundreds who died in the shipwreck in the Mediterranean.
People lighting candles on Unter den Linden street in Berlin to commemorate the hundreds who died in the shipwreck in the Mediterranean.
A man holding a candle during the vigil to commemorate the hundreds who died in the shipwreck in the Mediterranean.
Candles and flowers laid in front of the European Commission office in Berlin.
A woman holds a candle and a flyer in Berlin Unter den Linden asking “Fortress Europe” to open up its borders.
April 21, 2015
Dozens of men, women and children are held in deplorable conditions in a jail in Misrata, controlled by the security forces loyal to the Islamist Libyan government in Tripoli. The detainees who appear in this video, most of whom come from east African countries, were caught in Libya on their way to try to reach Europe. An office that controls immigration is deporting the detainees to their countries through their countries’ embassies in Tunisia. However, Somalian and Eritrean detainees cannot return because of the instability plaguing their countries. Some of them have been in this prison for five months.
An interviewed female detainee from Eritrea, who introduced herself as Yodit, said that she was arrested with her cousin and other immigrants in the Libyan desert as they were heading to Europe. The group had started their clandestine journey in Khartoum, Sudan. Yodit said that they spent one month on the road before being arrested. By the time of the interview, she had spent two weeks in custody and was worried that her family back home might think that she was dead. The woman, who appears to be in her twenties, also complained that the detention center is overcrowded and lacks proper ventilation.
Various shots of detainees.
Soundbite (Arabic/English, Woman) Yodit, Female Eritrean detainee
00:48 – 04:14
"Q: What is your name? [Arabic]
A: What? [Arabic]
Q: Your name. [Arabic]
Q: How long have you been here?
A: Just one week.
Q: One week?
Q: Where are you from?
A: From Eritrea.
Q: You came by… the desert?
A: Yeah, the desert.
Q: How exactly? Through which country?
A: By the Khartoum to the Libya desert. [UNINTELLIGIBLE] When [we] came here, they catch us.
A: In the desert of Libya.
A: In Libya, but the place exactly, what it’s called…. I don’t know.
Q: In the desert, or a gate?
A: Desert, desert.
Q: The desert?
Q: Is it near from here?
A: I think [it is] far.
Q: One hour? Two hours? How much time?
A: Four hours from here.
Q: And then what are you doing here? What did they tell you?
A: We want to travel to Europe. So they catch us, they arrest us… even before here, just one week another place, the place which kept us. We came also here one week. That means two weeks under arrest. So they… you see they are stand up all night here. The [UNINTELLIGIBLE] is bad It smells bad all night. There is no air. The place is bad, really. [UNINTELLIGIBLE]The condition is bad, seriously.
Q: What did they tell you? Did they tell you that they are going out? Did they call your embassy?
A: No. No phone. We families don’t know where we are.
Q: They didn’t call your families?
A: Yeah. Because we don’t have a phone here. So no one knows where they are. I don’t know. Maybe our families they think [we] die or something.
Q: You are here alone? You don’t have any family here?
A: She’s my cousin. So we are two.
Q: Now you are here for one week.
A: Here. But another place also one week. The way…. but one month is in the way in the desert. We are hungry, there is no water, there is no anything. We were about to die. But that is good, they save us and keep us here. But I don’t know [UNINTELLIGIBLE] about time I don’t know anything.
Q: Thank you.
A: You’re welcome. Thank you, too.”
March 24, 2015
Fighters loyal to the internationally recognized Libyan government based in Tobruk are seen in this video scouting the Al-Lethi neighborhood of Benghazi, less than one hundred meters from what they say are ISIS outposts. Soldiers snake between deserted and damaged civilian houses, searching for Islamist militants.
Fighting between Islamist militias and forces loyal to Lt. General Khalifa Haftar has ravaged the Libyan city of Benghazi, even though fighting has diminished. Reports indicate that Haftar's forces currently have the upper hand over the Islamist Libya Dawn military coalition. According to a Transterra Media contributor, significant casualties have put the local hospital under pressure to provide adequate medial care as supplies are thinning out.