Thousands of Lebanese greeted Pope Benedict XVI as he headed on his Popemobile to the Baabda Presidential Palace where he met with the country's top political and Muslim religious leaders on Saturday, September 15.
Crowds of people were waving both the Vatican and Lebanese flags and cheering as he passed with confetti swirling in the air.
In the Beirut suburb of Baabda where there was a festive atmosphere on the streets, the Pope first met with Lebanese President Michel Suleiman and his wife.
The Pope also met with Speaker Nabih Berri and Prime Minister Najib Miqati.
Pope Benedict calls on Lebanon to be a model of peace and religious freedom in the tumultuous Middle East.
During a speech, the Pope expressed sympathy with youth in Syria. The pope said he admired their courage, adding this is a time for Christians and Muslims to come together "so as to put an end to violence and war."
He also called for interfaith unity in order to end violence in the Middle East.
The visit of the Pope to Lebanon is aimed at bridging the gap between Christians and Muslims in the Middle East.
The pontiff, who arrived on Friday for a three-day visit, praised Lebanon as an example of “coexistence and respectful dialogue between Christians and their brethren of other religions” when he arrived at the airport.
Hezbollah's leader Hassan Nasrallah also welcomed the Pontiff's arrival in Lebanon, describing the event as "historic and extraordinary.”
Local News Agency: Middle East Bureau / VCS
Shooting Dateline: September 15, 2012
Shooting Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Publishing Time: September 15, 2012
Video Size: 109 MB
1. Various shots of thousands of Lebanese lined the road as Pope Benedict XVI headed on his Popemobile to Baabda palace where he met with the country's top political and Muslim religious leaders
2. Various shots of the crowds waving with both the Vatican and the Lebanese flags as he passed
3. Pan left shot of the Pope arriving at the Presidential Palace where he met by cheering of the crowds of people
4. Medium shot of the pope arriving at the Palace and a man greeting the Pope upon his arrival
5. Various shots of the ceremony
6. Various shots of the Pope during the ceremony
7. Wide shot of thousands of Lebanese gathering at the ceremony, greeting the arrival of the Pope
8. Close up shot of Lebanese President Michel Suleiman
9. Wide shot of crowds of people during the ceremony