The house was built in 1857 by architect Ustad Ali Maryam for the wife of Seyyed Mehdi Borujerdi, a wealthy merchant. The wife came from the affluent Tabatabaei family; Seyyed Mehdi fall in love with her, and comissioned the building of this house for her.
It consists of a rectangular courtyard between a main living area (to the south) and an entrance area. It features wall paintings by the royal painter Sani ol molk, and three 40-meter-tall wind towers (two above the living area and one over the entrance area) which help cool the house to unusually cool temperatures. The main hall (reception hall) is topped by a khishkhan-type central dome, part of a geometric sculptural roofscape that has been compared to Gaudí's Casa Milà. It has 3 entrances, and all the classic signatures of traditional Persian residential architecture, such as a biruni yard (exterior yard) and a daruni yard (andarun, interior yard). The house took eighteen years to build, using 150 craftsmen
- File size 3 MB
- Aspect ratio 0.63