A grand ceremony was held on Sunday, October 21, in Beirut for the burial of Lebanese intelligence chief Wissam al-Hassan, who was killed in a car bomb explosion in Beirut’s Ashrafiyeh neighborhood along with seven others and upwards of a hundred of injured.
Angry civilians attended the funeral procession carrying banners and posters of Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah and Prime Minister Najib Mikati who many believe are responsible for the assassination.
Al-Hassan was buried next to late PM Rafik al-Hariri who was similarly assassinated in 2005.
The massive congregation turned into a protest calling for immediate government resignation.
Mikati showed readiness to resign after the bombing but President Michel Suleiman convinced him not to at such a critical time.
After the funeral, clashes erupted between security men and angry protestors who raised banners of the Syrian opposition group Future Movement, while others and tried to break into the Cabinet headquarters in Beirut.
Security forces tried to disperse the protestors by firing teargas canisters, and other means, which led to several injuries.
Analysts warn against a spark of civil war in Lebanon which is already undergoing political turmoil.
Story: Lebanon Buries Murdered Intelligence Chief amid Protests & Clashes
Local News Agency: Middle East Bureau / VCS
Shooting Dateline: October 21, 2012
Shooting Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Publishing Time: October 21, 2012
Video Size: 93.2 MB
1. Wide, pan left shot of thousands of people who are attending the funeral of security chief Wissam al-Hassan, while Qur’an is being played
2. Medium shot of some people attending the funeral, holding a poster of Prime Minister Najib Mikati criticizing the government’s policy
3. Wide, tilt up, pan right shot of people attending the funeral waving Lebanon’s flags, holding banners and posters criticizing the government’s policy, while Qur’an is still being played
4. Medium shot of two protestorsholding a poster of Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah and Prime Minister Najib Mikati holding them responsible for the assassination
5. Wide, pan right shot of people holding a poster of Wissam al-hassan and late PM Rafik al-Hariri who was similarly assassinated in 2005
6. Wide, tilt down shot of the mosque where the funeral was held, and groups of people are gathered in front of it
7. Medium shot of soldiers carrying the coffin into the mosque
8. Medium shot of
9. Wide shot of clashes between security men and angry protestors
10. Medium shot of protestors shouting and holding the light blue flag of the Sunni-based opposition Future Party
11. Wide shot of protestors running to break into the Cabinet headquarters in Beirut
12. Wide shot of clashed between the security and the protestors
13. Wide shot of some security officers arresting one of the protestors
14. Wide, pan right shot of the protestors while the security officers are throwing tear gas at them
15. Medium shot of some protestors breaking the glass of a kiosk in the street
16. Medium shot of some protestors carrying a man who passed out in the street and fell to the ground
17. Wide shot of protestors throwing sticks and rocks at security